Biography of Dr Abdul ‘Aleem Abdul ‘Azeem Al-Bastawi.
Biography of Dr Abdul 'Aleem Abdul 'Azeem Al-Bastawi.
Dr Abdul 'Aleem Al-Bastawi's father, Shaykh Abdul 'Azeem Bastawi was a famous Ahl e Hadith scholar, student of Shaykh Abdul Wahab Dehlawi.
Shaykh Abdul 'Azeem Bazdawi's four sons all became scholars:
The eldest Shaykh Abdul Wadood and Shaykh AbdusSaboor both studied in Dar Al-Hadith Rehmaniyah Dehli
The third son Shaykh AbduNoor graduated from Dar Al-Uloom Nadwah Al-Ulama Lukhnow, then went to Egypt to do a MA in Arabic literature. After his studies, he became a teacher of Arabic literature in Dar Al-Uloom Nadwah.
Shaykh Abdul 'Aleem was the youngest boy of the family. He was born in 1948 and started his studies with his father Shaykh Abdul Azeem Bastawi, then a joined a Madrasah in his village, and this Madrasah still exists today under the name "Al-Ma'had Al-Islami".
After he joined his elder brother Shaykh AbduNoor Nadwi Azhari and entered Dar Al-Uloom Nadwah in 1961. He obtained his Alimiyat there in 1966, and this year the studies started in Jamiyah Saladiyah, so he joined it and obtained his degree of Fazeelat in 1967.
In 1969, he joined Madeenah university and obtained his BA in 1973 in Kulliyah Dawa wa Usul Ad-Deen. After he joined Umm ul Qura university and obtained a MA in 1978.
In 1978, he started to work for Rabitah Alam Islami (Muslim world league) and carried on working for it in different departments for 34 years. With his work in Rabitah, he obtained a PHD in Jamiyah Al-Azhar in Hadith in 1989.
His teachers include:
In Madeenah: Shaykh Dr Taqiudin Hilali, Shaykh Abdul Muhsin Al-Abbad, Shaykh Muhammad Al-Majzoob, Shaykh Muhammad Ameen Shanqiti. He also benefited from lessons of shaykh Ibn Baz, Shaykh Albani and Shaykh Hammad Ansari from whom he took Ijazah.
In Makkah, among his teacher we count Dr Muhammad Ameen Misri.
In Egypt, we benefited from Dr Muhammad Abu Shahmah.
In India, he took Ijazah from Shaykh Ubaydullah Mubarakpuri.
With his work in Rabitah Alam Islami, Shaykh 'Abdul Aleem Bastawi authored and translated many books.
1) "Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdil Wahab or un ki dawat", translation in Urdu of a book of Shaykh Ibn Baz.
2) "Muhammad ibn Abdil Wahab Muslih Mazloom wa Muftara Aleyhi", translation in Arabic of the work of Shaykh Masood Alam Nadwi "Muhammad ibn Abdil Wahab, ek Mazloom or Badnam Muslih". With the translation, the shaykh added many information.
3) Tahqiq of "Ma'rifah Ath-Thiqat" of Imam Al-'Ijli, published in 1985 in 2 volumes in Madeenah.
4) Tahqiq of "Ash-Shajarah fi Ahwal Ar-Rijal wa Amarat An-Nubuwah" of Imam Juzjani published in Riyad in 1990.
5) Tahqiq of "Suwalat Abi Ubayd Al-Aajuri Aba Dawud Sulayman ibnal Ash'at As-Sijistani" published in 1997 in 2 volumes in Makkah.
6) "Al-Mahdi Al-Muntazar fi Daw Al-Ahadith wal Athar As-Saheehah" 1999 published in Makkah
7) "Al-Mawsu'ah fi Ahadith Al-Mahdi Ad-Da'eefah wal Mawdu'ah" 1999 in Makkah
The book n 6 and 7 were the Maqalah of MA of Shaykh Abdul 'Aleem Bastawi called "Al-Ahadith Al-Waridah fil mahdi fi Mizan Al-Jarh wa Ta'deel" and it was published after in the form of these 2 books.
8) " Al-Juzz Al-Hadi Ashar min Kitab Ittihaf Al-Mahrah li Hafiz ibn Hajar" published in 1997 in Madeenah.
9) Translation into Arabic of the book "Seerah Al-Imam Al-Bukhari" of Shaykh AbdusSalam Mubarakpuri with many benefits and notes added, published in 2 volumes in Makkah.
10) Tahqiq and Taliq of "Fawaid fi Ulum Al-Hadith wa Kutubihi wa Ahlihi" of Shaykh Abdur Rahman Mubarakpuri
11) "Al-Arham Al-Mustajarah wal Injaz An-Nabawi", a scholarly research published in "Sawt Al-Ummah" Banaris and after in the magazine of Rabitah Alam Islami, about the explanation of the Hadith that the slave will give birth to her master.
12) A scholarly Maqalah on Shaykh Hammad Ansari published in "Sawt Al-Ummah" Banaris
13) "Al-Juzz As-Sadis min Lisan Al-Mizan" of Hafiz ibn Hajar, not published
14) "Qism Rabi' min Sunnan Abi Dawud" Takhrij, Tahqiq and Ta'liq from beginning of Kitab As-Sayd to end of Kitab Al-At'imah (His doctorat)
15) "Marwiyat Amr ibn shuayb an Abihi an Jadihi baynal Qabool war rad"
16) "Al-Jawahir Al-Mafqoodah fil Almaniya": a listing of the manuscripts of rare books of Hadith in Germany before the world war.
With this Shaykh Abdul 'Aleem Bastawi has many other articles in other magazines.
The Shaykh passed away on the 18 June 2016 in his house in Makkah, may Allah have mercy upon him.
Source: "Dabistan Hadith" of Shaykh Ishaq Bhatti, published by Maktabah Qudsiyah, with some additions online
Below a video produced by his children after his death in his memory: