Biography of Dr Luqman Salafi
Biography of Shaykh Dr Muhammad Luqman Salafi
His lineage is: Muhammad Luqman ibn Barakallah ibn Muhammad Yaseen ibn Salamatullah ibn Abdil Azeem Siddiqi
Shaykh Luqman Salafi was born in 1941 in the province of Bihar in the village of “Chandan Barah” which was around 200 km from the capital of Bihar, Patnah.
The grand father of Shaykh Luqman, Muhammad Yaseen was attached to the movement of Sayed Ahmad Shaheed (insha Allah) and Shaykh Isma’eel Dehlwi Shaheed (insha Allah). He would not only collect money from his area in Bihar for them but also physically joined them for some time and return home. Afterwards he took his wife to their Markaz and remained with them for 8 years. Shaykh Luqman’s father Barakallah was born in the Markaz of the Mujahideen. Little time after the birth of Barakallah, he returned to his home with the permission of Emir Al-Mujahideen.
Shaykh Luqman Salafi took religious sciences from young age from his grand father. At the age of 7, he joined the Madrasah of Hafiz Muhammad Uthman, where he learnt the Quran. Afterwards he went to Phornia were he learnt from Shaykh Muhammad Ilyas Persian and Urdu books. Shaykh Luqman had typhoid in Phornia, hence his grand gather took him back to his village and registered him in a Deobandi Madrasah near his village and he took there books of Arabic grammar and morphology, Tajweed and jurisprudence.
In 1956, Shaykh Luqman joined the Madrasah “Dar Al-Ulum Ahmadiyah Salafiyah” in Darbanghah, a city in Bihar. This was one of the famous Ahl e Hadith Madrasah established by Shaykh Ibrahim Arwi in Aarah but after his death, Shaykh AbdulAziz Raheembadi moved it to Darbanghah.
Among Shaykh Luqman’s teachers in India, we count: Shaykh Zuhoor ibn Muhammad Asghar Rehmani, Shaykh Muhammad Idrees Azad Rehmani, Shaykh AbdurRahman Salafi, Shaykh Habeeb Al-Mursalin Salafi.
Shaykh Luqman Salafi was among the best student of this Madrasah hence during his studies (3rd year of Jamiyah, 7th year of Dars Nizami) he was selected to Madeenah University when it was founded in 1962. Shaykh Ibn Baz in these days was the vice chancellor of Madeenah University and would look after the students, and the efforts of Shaykh Luqman Salafi in studying attracted his attention, hence he always kept him near him.
Among his teachers in Madeenah University we count: Shaykh ibn Baz, Shaykh Albani, Hafiz Muhammad Gondalwi, Shaykh Ameen Shanqiti, Shaykh AbdurRazaq Afifi, Shaykh Manna Qattan, Shaykh AbdulQadir Shaybah Hamd, Shaykh Abbad, Shaykh Abdullah ibn Humayd.
Among his class fellows and students who studied at same time, we count: Allamah Ihsan Elahi Zaheer, Dr Muhammad ibn Mahmood Wa’ili, Hafiz Hafeez ur Rahman Umri, Shaykh Muhammad Yusuf Kazim, Shaykh AbdusSattar Salafi, Shaykh Suhaib Hasan, Hafiz AbdurRahman Madni.
His positions after his studies
Shaykh Luqman Salafi graduated in 1967 and he obtained afterwards a position in Dar Al-Ifta in Riyadh as translator English to Arabic and Arabic to English. There he did his MA and PHD in Muhammad ibn Su’ud. In 1975, Shaykh Ibn Baz was appointed as the director of “Idarah Al-Buhuth Al-Islamiyah wal Ifta wa Da’wa wal Irshad”, and he chose Shaykh Luqman Salafi as his secretary. With this position, some of his other positions are listed below:
1) Founder and President of Jamiyah Ibn Taymiyah (India)
2) President of the association of graduates of Dar Al-Ulum Ahmadiyah Salafiyah
3) The president of Markaz Allamah AbdulAziz ibn Baz li Dirasat Al-Islamiyah bil Hind
4) Supervisor of Jamiyat Imam ibn Taymiyah Al-Khayriyah (Bihar)
5) Supervisor of the Urdu section of the magazine “Tuba” of Jamiyah ibn Taymiyah
6) Supervisor of the Arabic section of the magazine “Al-Furqan” of Jamiyah ibn Taymiyah.
7) In charge of the Fatawa of the Mufti of KSA
8) Member of the board of the magazine “Athaar As-Saadirah” Maonath Bhajan UP
9) In charge of Dar Ad-Da’wah in KSA
10) Member of the board of the magazine “Ad-Da’wah” of Da’wah Islamiyah Riyadh.
With this he remained for many years a member of the magazine “Taw’iyah Al-Islamiyah fil Hajj”, and in the branch of education of Jamiyah Muhammad ibn Su’ud.
1) “Makanah As-Sunnah fi At-Tashri Al-Islami wa Dahdh Maza’im Al-Munkirin wal Mulhidin” which was his MA Maqalah in Arabic.
2) “Ihtimam al-Muhadithin bi Naqd Al-Hadith Sanadan wa Matnan wa Dahdh Maza’im Al-Mustashriqin”: His PHD Thesis in Arabic.
3) Translation in Arabic of the correspondence between Shaykh Mawdudi and the American Convert Jameelah Jones (entitled “Al-Murasalah Bayna Abil Ala Mawdudi wa Maryam Jameelah”)
4) A book on Jarh wa Tadeel whose manuscript was lost.
5) His Urdu Tafsir entitled “Taysir Ar-Rahman li Bayan Al-Quran”
These are the books indicated by Shaykh Ishaq Bhatti in his “Qafilah Hadith”, which was published in 2003 but since Shaykh Luqman Salafi authored many other books among which we count below:
6) “Rash Al-Barad Sharh Adab Al-Mufrad lil Imam Al-Bukhari”: a one large volume explanation of “Adab Al-Mufrad” of Imam Bukhari.
7) “As-Sadiq Al-Ameen”: Arabic Seerah 831 pages
8) “As-Sadiq Al-Ameen”: Urdu version of the previous book, published by Al-Furqan Trust.
8) “Tuhfatul Kiram Sharh Bulugh Al-Maram”: Arabic explanation of “Bulugh Al-Maram” 1 vol, 688 pages
9) “Tuhfatul Kiram Sharh Bulugh Al-Maram”: Urdu translation of the previous work, translated in Urdu by AbdulMannan AbdulLateef Madni, published by Dar Ad-Da’i li Nashr wa Tawzi Riyadh
10) English translation of his Tafsir “Taisirur Rahman le Bayanil Quran” published by Dar Ad-Da’i li Nashr wa Tawzi Riyadh.
11) “As-Sa’i Al-Hathith ila Fiqh Ahlil Hadith”: Arabic in 3 volumes on jurisprudence
12) “Hadiu Thaqalayn fi Ahadith Thaqalayn”: Collection of the Ahadith in the 2 Sahih present in “Mishkat Al-Masabih” of Hafiz Tibrizi.
13) “Fuyudh Al-Alam Ala Tafsir Ayat Al-Ahkam lil Imam Muhammad ibn Ali Ash-Shawkani”: 2 volume collection of the Tafsir of Imam Shawknai on the verses pertaining to jurisprudence with Takhrij and notes by Shaykh Luqman Salafi.
14) “Karwan e Hayat”: His Urdu autobiography
15) Verification of the book “Fatawa Al-Imam Ash-Shareef Siddiq Hasan Khan Al-Qannuji Al-Bukhari Al-Musama bi “Ad-Dalil At-Talib ala Arjahil Matalib””
16) Verification of the book “Arkan Al-Islam” of Shaykh ibn Baz
The Shaykh verified many other books published under his supervision by Dar Ad-Da’I li Nashr Wa Tawzi in Riyadh.
His death and scholars' praise of him
Shaykh AbdurRauf Rehmani Jandagarhi said about Shaykh Luqman Salafi: “For me, Shaykh Luqman Salafi is counted among the Kibaar Ullama e Ahl e Hadith of India. His longing for knowledge, his palpitation for Islami Da’wah, his compassion for the Muslims, are among his particularities for which every individual has a great respect for him”
Shaykh Luqman Salafi passed away on Thursday 5 March 2020, may Allah have mercy upon him
Biography Adapted from “Qafilah Hadith” iz Shaykh Ishaq Bhatti