Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi was born in 1302 (1885) in the village of Kotlah Shaykhan in former state of Bahawalpur. His father was a respected scholar Molana AbdulWaahid. He was the youngest son of Molana AbdulWaahid as is elder sons had all passed away.
Shaykh AbdulWaahid taught him Islamic sciences at young age, Qur'an, Urdu, Persian, Arabic grammar and morphology. Afterwards he sent his son to Multan, Batalah, Amritsar, Delhi and other places to sit to learn from major scholars of his time.
Among the scholars from whom Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi benefited, we count:
1) Shaykh AbduTawab Multani
2) Shaykh Abul Fadhl Muhammad ibn Abdillah Riyasi
3) Shaykh Abu Isma'eel Ibrahim ibn Abdillah Lahori.
4) Shaykh Abu Abdillah Uthman ibn Husayn Azeemabadi.
5) Shaykh Abul Hasan Muhammad ibn Husayn Dehlwi.
6) Shaykh Muhammad Husayn Batalwi
7) Shaykh Thanaullah Amritsari
8) Shaykh Abul Qasim Isa ibn Ahmad Ra'i.
9) Shaykh Abul Fadhl Imamudin ibn Muhammad ibn Majah Qanbari.
10) Shaykh Abu AbdirRab Muhammad ibn Abi Muhammad Unayti.
11) Shaykh Abu Yasar Muhammad ibn Abdillah Unayti.
12) Shaykh Ahmad ibn Abdillah Salim Baghdadi.
13) Shaykh Abu Muhammad ibn Mahmud Tanafasi.
14) Shaykh Ahmad ibn Haydar Hashmi.
15) Shaykh Abu Idrees ibn AbdilWahab Sakandarabadi.
16) Shaykh Abu Muhammad Hibatullah ibn Mahmud Al-Mallani.
17) Shaykh Khaleel ibn Muhammad ibn Husayn ibn Muhsin Ansari.
18) Shaykh Sa'eed ibn Muhammad Makki.
19) Shaykh Umar ibn Abi Bakr Maghrabi Makki.
20) Shaykh Hibatullah Abu Muhammad Mahdawi.
Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi was a great scholar, renowned Muhadith, a great researcher and reader, a person of sharp mind and a very effective speaker.
After completing his studies, he returned to his village Kotlah Shaykhan and started to teach there. After some time, he had to move to Mahmand and taught there. People from Ahmadpur Sharqiyah requested him to come to their city and teach there, so he accepted their invitation and moved to Ahmadpur Sharqiyah.
Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi taught for 25 years in Ahmadpur Sharqiyah. Due to his services and preaching, Islam reached every house and many found the straight path. His teaching was famous as well and many students came from far to study from him. Among his famous students we count Shaykh Sulan Mahmood Jalalpuri, Shaykh Sayid Badiudin Shah rashdi, Shaykh AbdulKareem (former teacher in Jamiyah Salafiyah Faislabad) and also his sons Shaykh AbdurRazaq, Shaykh abu Turab Zahiri and Shaykh AbdulWakeel Hashmi.
Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi was also very active and would travel to other cities and participate in conferences in Amritsar, Batalah, Delhi, Aligharh, and in annual conference of All India Ahl e Hadith conference.
Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi was also a famous debater, he debated Hindus, Christians and Qadiyanis on many occasions, as well as Ahnaaf, Shi'ah and others.
With being a great teacher, preacher and debater, the Shaykh was also a prolific writer. The list of his books:
1) Tafsir Al-Quran Al-Kareem, 9 vol but not completed.
2) Nusratul Bari fi Sharh Tarajim al-Bukhari, 4 vol.
3) Mashariq Al-Anwar fi Sharh ma fil Muwatta wa Sahihayn minal Akhbar, 14 volumes.
4) Miftah al-Muwatta wa Sahihayn: 7 vol.
5) Kitab Al-Lubab fi Sharh at-Tarajim wal Abwab, 7 vol.
6) Atraf Al-Musnad: 2 vol.
7) Tarajim Rijaal al-Musnad: 4 vol.
8) Sharh Muqadimah Sahih Muslim: 1 vol.
9) Thabat Al-Marwiyat, 1 vol.
10) Tarajim Rijaal As-Sahihayn, 1 vol.
11) Kitab Nahow, 1 vol.
12) Raf' Al-Lawmah 'an Wadih Al-Yadayn fil Qawmah
13) Kitab Al-arab'een ala Sayidil Kawnayn.
14) Kitab Ta'min bil Jahr, 1 vol.
15) Kitab Raful Yadayn fis Salah: 1 vol.
16) Kitab Qira'ah Khalf al-Imam: 1 vol.
17) Kitab Khilafah Ar-Rashidah, 1 vol.
18) Kitab Al-Jihad, one Juzz
19) Kitab Ahwal Al-Hashr, 1 vol.
20) Kitab Kashf Al-Iqna' fi Du'a ba'd Salah bi Halatil Ijtima'
21) Fath Al-Wadud fi Rafil Yadayn inda Sujud
22) Musanaf As-Sahihayn, 9 vol.
23) Kitab Al-Jam’ bayna Manzoomah Al-Ameer As-San’ani wal Fiyah Al-Iraqee wal Suyuti
24) Sharh Manzoomah Al-Ameer As-San’ani
25) Sharh Al-Fiyah As-Suyuti
26) Kitab Al-Maghazi
27) Kitab As-Sayr, 1 vol
28) Muqadimah Sharh Al-Musnad Al-Imam Ahmad, 1 vol
29) Qaba’ih Al-Yahoodiyah
30) Dalail Ar-Risalah Al-Muhammadiyah
31) Kitab Takhrij Ahadith Al-Musnad
32) Al-Jam’ bayna As-Sihhah As-Sittah, not completed
33) Khabr Al-Khabr fi Sharh Hammal Al-Athar, not completed
34) Al-Budur Al-Aarijah fil Fusha wa Darijah
35) Kitab Al-Fawaid wa Ta’qibat
36) Kashf Al-Ghamzah anil Mutaradid fi Miqat al-Makki lil Umrah
37) Iqamatul Hujjah bi annal Mutamatia aleyhi Sa’yani, Sa’i Al-Umrah wa Sa’i Al-Hajjah
38) Nasb Al-Umood fi Tahqiq Masalah Tujafi Al-Marah fir Ruku was Sujud
39) Al-Muwazanah bayna Musnaday Al-Imamayn Ahmad ibn Hanbal wa Baqiyah ibn Makhlad
40) Masalah Az-Zakah fima Zada ‘ala Nisab
41) Ijazah Riwayah
42) Ithbat annal Hujr wal Maqam minal Jannah
43) Tahqiq Hadith Salah Musa (aleyhi Salam) fi Qabrihi
44) Ar-Ruba’iyat Al-Mansoobah ilal Bukhari
45) Azaan at-Tarjee’ Sunnah Matrookah
46) Qidam Ashabil Hadith
47) Tahqiq Masalah Hurm Al-Madeenah
48) Masalah Azaan Al-Jawq
49) Munaqashah Amali Mahmood Al-Hasan Hawl Sahih Al-Bukhari
50) Ithbat Tazweej Umm Kulthum min Umar ibnil Khattab.
Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi has written other books than these and many researched articles on different topics whose manuscripts are present in his son Shaykh Abdul Wakeel Hashmi’s house in Makkah.
Shaykh AbdulHaq Hashmi with a group of Ahl e Hadith scholars went to congratulate King Abdul Aziz after his conquest of Hijaz. After many years in 1949, King Abdul Aziz invited Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi to teach in Makkah, So he left Ahmadpur Sharqiyah to teach in Makkah. Many scholars from Najd, Hijaz, other countries, Africa and other places benefited from him.
The former two Muftis Shaykh Muhammad Ibrahim Aal Shaykh and Shaykh Abdul Aziz ibn Baz both benefited from Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi.
Due to his love of Hadith, Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi saw the Prophet (saw) many times in a dream, even her mother told once that she saw the Prophet (saw) in a dream coming to her house and calling Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi, he had a quill pen in his hand, and the Prophet (saw) was dictating and he was writing. All these dreams have been dictated by Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi to his son Shaykh Abu Turab Zahiri.
Shaykh Abul Haq Hashmi had a stroke on 14th Ramadhan 1392 (23 October 1972), he carried on teaching Sahih Al-Bukhari in his illness and passed away on 17 Shawal 1392/22 November 1972 in Makkah. His funeral prayer was read in Masjid al-Haram and his body was sent to Madeenah were he was buried in Jannat Al-Baqee’.
Shaykh AbdulHaq Hashmi had many sons who became reputed scholars:
1) His eldest son Shaykh AbdurRazaq was his successor in Ahmadpur Sharqiyah when he left for Makkah. Shaykh AbdurRazaq passed away in April 1986. Shaykh AbdurRazaq’s son Dr Hafiz Muhammad Israil was president of Islamic department of Engineering University Lahore.
2) His son Abdul Jamil known as Abu Turab Az-Zahiri. Shaykh Abu Turab Zahiri learnt first from his grand father Shaykh Abdul Wahid. Afterwards learnt books of Hadith from his father Shaykh Abdul Haq Hashmi, as well as many other great scholars such as Hafiz Abdullah Ropuri, Shaykh Ibrahim Mir Sialkoti, Shaykh AbduTawab Multani, Shaykh Thanaullah Amritsari and others.
He went after to study in many countries in Africa; he benefited in Morocco from Shaykh Abdul Hai Kattani and Shaykh Abul Muntasir Kattani. He studied at Al-Azhar, he did his masters and doctorate at Al-Azhar, studied Hadith from Shaykh Ahmad Shakir and benefited from Shaykh Hamid Fiqhi and Shaykh Muhammad Makhloof during his stay in Egypt.
Afterwards he taught in Masjid Al-Haram Makki at the request of King Abdul Aziz.. In Saudia, he benefited from Shaykh AbdurRahman Ifriqee, Shaykh AbdurRahman Mu’alimi, Shaykh Muhammad AbdurRazaq Hamzah, Shaykh Yasin ibn Muhammad Isa Fadani, Qadhi Hasan Mishat Maliki and others.
Shaykh Abu Turab Zahiri was a great expert of the Arabic language, he authored many books. He passed away in 2002 in Makkah and was buried in Jannatul Mu’alla Cemetery.
3) Shaykh AbdulHaq Hashmi’s son Shaykh AbdulWakeel Hashmi is also among major scholars. He was born in 1938, he learnt first from his grand father Shaykh AbdulWahid. Afterwards he joined Daar Al-Hadith Muhammadiyah in Jalalpur near Multan, established by Shaykh Sultan Mahmood Jalalpuri, who was a student of his father.
Shaykh AbdulWakeel learnt for 4 years in Daar Al-Hadith Muhammadiyah when his father moved to teach in Makkah, so he joined his father there. He memorized the Qur’an there and benefited from his father there. He obtained Ijazah from his father, Shaykh Ubaydullah Mubarakpuri, Shaykh AbdusSalam Bastawi, Shaykh Sultan Mahmood Jalalpuri, Shaykh shamsul Haq Multani and many other scholars. He resides in Makkah and authored many books. Scholars around the world benefit from him and learn Hadith from him.
Source: "Dabistan Hadith" and "Gulistan Hadith" of Shaykh Ishaq Bhatti and others.